Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developmental Movement Patterns

This is a great article by one of my mentors Phillip Beach DO, LAc. He discusses the need for bringing the body back into tune via evolutionary and developmental postures of rest, standing up from the ground, and stimulating our sensory organs. His work is more detailed in the book Muscles and Meridians: The Manipulation of Shape. (http://www.amazon.com/Muscles-Meridians-The-Manipulation-Shape/dp/0702031097)
I have been evaluating and treating movement for 13 years and this addition to my tool bag to evaluate and improve rest to re-tune the body has been life changing for my own body and a game changer for my athletes.

What are your thoughts? Do you use any tool to evaluate or prescribe treatment for improving development movement patterns?
Anna J. Hartman MS, ATC, CSCS, PMA-CPT
www.movementrev.com

Comments

• I think that is a very interesting approach to movement . It reminds me of the approach of using the development of toddlers to break down movement and it's progression from the simple to the complex. Because I work primarily with athletes I utilize the basic movement patterns in their respective sport and break them down to evaluate functional range of motion, strength, movement quality, and sports specific performance. Based upon where they test, it gives me an evidence based approach in prescribing treatment and exercise.
    Audric Warren MS, ATC, CAFS, NASM-PES, NASM-CES
  • Yes very similar approaches in the Prague School / Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization method with the developmental kinesiology. Also similar with the DK and primal patterns utilized in Gray Cook's Functional Movement Systems model. I felt like the emphasis in the rest postures in Beach's work complemented all this other work perfectly.

Totally agree to link it to sports specific movement patterns as well.
    www.movementrev.com
  • Yes absolutely agree. The only problem I have with some of these approaches are there lack of "Spherical function" . What I mean by that is simply capturing the 3 dimensionality of movement.
  • How do you capture this 3D movement in evaluation?
    www.movementrev.com
  • Well first I break down the gross movement, second I break down /seperate the individual planes, then if I spot a restriction I investigate the restriction by way of individual segment, c spine down great toe, with the specific motion in question also talked into consideration which planes of motion that joint is limited in. This gives me a measurable outcome and specific areas to focus on in relation to function and it's 3d movements.
  • Yes, definitely agree on break down of planes and joint by joint approach. That to is part of my full body ortho/neuro/movement system evaluation. Paired with movement quality tests you can't go wrong!
    www.movementrev.com