Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Athletic Trainers in the service of art! (video)

Hey, I’ve stumbled upon this cool video on vimeo posted by NATA…

Rehab and the Rockettes: Preventing Injuries in Performing Arts from National Athletic Trainers' Assn on Vimeo.

On the video, Elaine Winslow-Redmond (head athletic trainer and director of athletic training and wellness for the Radio City Rockettes), talks about the necessity of AT in ‘untraditional’ places, preventing injuries in performing arts, working backstage and showing there is a need for AT and how it’s going to help the organization.

Now I guess the question is what other ‘untraditional’ places you know of? and are you working there? :)

Comments

• It's becoming more and more prevalent that you see Athletic Trainers in different areas now. I've seen Athletic Trainers in BMX, the rodeo, NASA, police departments, and the military. The most non-traditional setting I have been in was the industrial setting.
    Audric Warren MS, ATC, CAFS, NASM-PES, NASM-CES
  • It's becoming more and more prevalent that you see Athletic Trainers in different areas now. I've seen Athletic Trainers in BMX, the rodeo, NASA, police departments, and the military. The most non-traditional setting I have been in was the industrial setting.

That's interesting!

Could you elaborate more about 'industrial setting'?
    Did you got the position after showing the decision makers at that place the benefits they will have as a result of having an AT?

• The industrial setting I worked in involved several components:
    1)An ergonomic piece where we would periodically observe, take notes, and correct faults on the employees movement patterns and postures in the factory, if they were a driver we would meet them at one of their stops and observe, take notes ,and correct faults as well.

2)We would also do injury screens onsite however if the injury occurred at work we were not allowed to treat until immediately reported,recorded, and saw a doctor . If it happened outside of work we could treat as we saw fit. However documentation was very strict.

3)lastly there was a Wellness piece to get workers involved with programs set up to lose weight, quit smoking, and take action in making daily lifestyle changes

As far as settled up that position it was done by a company who acquired the contract. Like most companies they saw him financial benefits of keeping their employees healthy.
    Audric Warren MS, ATC, CAFS, NASM-PES, NASM-CES