Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you stay current despite limited time and resources?

I’m sure (or at least assume) all Athletic Trainers want to provide the best possible care.
However, staying current can be difficult and little information is available about access to resources such as medical journals and publications.

So what do you think? What resources do you find useful to help you stay current and provide the best care for your patients?

Comments

• I find that Google scholar is a great resource when trying to find scholarly journal articles. When it comes to text books that are relevant to our profession go ogling the topic of interest helps with finding topics. YouTube is actually another great resource to finding topics of interest.
    Audric Warren MS, ATC, CAFS, NASM-PES, NASM-CES
  • I am constantly attending workshops both in person and online and find that I usually learn about new things I want to explore more in depth from the instructor that is teaching or interacting with fellow colleagues in the workshops. I also follow certain people in the industry and participate in online discussions regularly.

As far as journal articles go, I stay current on the JAT and also tend to search JOSPT, IJSPT, and JSCR for everything else I use pubmed or google scholar as well.
    Anna J. Hartman MS, ATC, CSCS, PMA-CPT
    www.movementrev.com
  • I just remembered a good site for videos and certification is www.ideafit.com
    Audric Warren MS, ATC, CAFS, NASM-PES, NASM-CES
  • I work at a high school as the sole AT, which can make you feel very isolated and out of touch. Two years ago, I decided to become a preceptor for one of the local universities, and I have actually learned quite a bit from the students. It's a bit awkward at times when the students know more than I do on some topics, but that's just how it goes. I graduated 15 years ago, so many things have changed. It's hard to keep up with everything, despite attending conferences several times a year!
    Marley Asselta, ATC, EMT
  • Twitter is a great resource for staying up to date w/ the literature and what people are doing. Find the right journals, researchers, and bloggers to follow and they will link you to relevant up to date info. As w/ everything, just remember to critically read and examine everything you encounter.
  • Thank you all for sharing your great tips.

Jeffery Stein can you tell me more about the Twitter accounts you follow? How do you usually look to find the right ones?